The Drawings of Life

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم 
Assalaamu'alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh

Yesterday, my ustazah from my former high school asked me to become a relief teacher at school. I had to relief for Ustazah F. Her classes were Fiqh, Hadith and Qiraah for secondary 1 and 2 students.

For the secondary 1 Fiqh class, ustazah F had already printed a couple of exercises that she told me to give out and let the students discuss in groups. So that's what I did. The thing that tickled my bones was that when I went round the class to check on how everyone was progressing on their work, I noticed that about 7 out of 9 groups had drawings and doodles on their papers.

There were pictures of people, animals, aliens (i think.hehe), and one girl's group even decorated their paper with multicoloured inked pens with diagonal squiggly lines, stars and heart shapes. I then told them: "Erm, you DO know that your ustazah would want this paper back, right?"

Their expressions were absolutely beyond priceless. XD

Some had immediately begun erasing their drawings frantically, some tried to hide it behind scribbles, some others just let them be with a facial expression that showed regret and a little fear because the 'damage' done was too big. haduiii...lawak betul.

I guess that's a bit like life.

Each day we are given an exercise of things that we need to do each day such as the obligatory daily prayers, reading the Quran, etc. And most usually, we would 'decorate' our lives with other things. At times, the 'decorations' would be good and in accordance to the Islamic law. There are also other times when our 'drawings' would get out of hand- especially when we forget that in the end, we would have to hand in our exercise papers to Him.

So, may this be a small, gentle reminder for us to 'decorate' the papers of life with good. Because at the end of the day, our Creator would want to check them back and we best hope that we won't hand them in filled with regret. :)

Allahua'laam.
Assalaamu'alaikum wr.

No comments